BUREAU OF SILLY IDEAS WORKSHOPS – The Menagerie
The Bureau Of Silly Ideas (BOSI) are looking for 8 participants to take part in their July workshops as part of Dundee Summer Streets Festival and Surge Festival in Glasgow.
Bureau Of Silly Ideas are experts at developing an engaging narrative that is told overtime using a mix of media and combined arts in public spaces. The workshops will involve learning how to operate and play with the BOSI remote controlled Street Furniture and how to maximise interactions between humans and machines in public spaces. You’ll also learn narrative and performance techniques by becoming a ‘team member’ of one of BOSI’s international conglomerates, encouraging audiences to engage and play within a fictional narrative. You’llbe given the opportunity to put these interactions into practice on the streets.
- Learn how to practically operate the machines (plant pots, road cones, wheelie bins etc) in a public domain;
- Monitor inspiration levels and perform ‘scientific’ research/ experiments through the marble run recruitment station;
- Find and create scenarios which maximise silly play from the menagerie;
- Improvise interactions between humans and machines;
- Discover subversive techniques for performance and creation of work:
- Theatrical transformation of ‘normality’
- Mischief and play as a tool to disrupt
- Understated and eccentric behaviouras part of hidden choras;
- Explore how to sustain and maintain a character whilst improvising in street theatre;
- In costume, head out into the streets of Dundee and Glasgow at the festivals to put into practise these interactions with members of the public, with support from the BOSI team.
- Workshops in Glasgow:Tues 16thJuly – Fri 19thJuly 11am – 6pm
- Performances at Dundee Summer Streets Festival: Sat 20thand Sun 21stJuly 9am – 8pm including travel to/ from Glasgow or Edinburgh each day
- Performances at Surge Festival, Glasgow: Sat 27thand Sun 28thJuly 10am – 6pm
We welcome applications from artists with a strong interest in street arts. No previous outdoor experience necessary.
Participants will be provided with lunches & refreshments on performance days and travel to/ from Dundee and Surge festivals (20th, 21st, 27th& 28thJuly).
Please note you must be available for all of the dates to take part.
To apply please send a CV and letter of interest (max 500 words) by 5pm on Tuesday 11thJuneto firstname.lastname@example.org
Any queries please call the Surge office on 0141 248 6910
Bureau Of Silly Ideas are figureheads in the UK Outdoor Arts sector, as recognised pioneers within the field we continue to transform public spaces, creating new pathways / platforms for engagement and challenging what ‘art’ is through silliness and interrogation for over 15 years.