SURGE VOLUNTEER PROGRAMME: FESTIVAL ASSISTANT VOLUNTEERS
We are looking for volunteers for SURGE Festival 2018– Scotland’s festival of Physical Performance – 10th– 12thAugust in Glasgow, both outdoors on the streets of Merchant City, and indoors at our PITCH and Clown Cabaret nights. We are also looking for Volunteers to assist with Festival preparation the week leading up to SURGE, week commencing 6thAugust. This year’s Festival is part of Merchant City Festival and the Glasgow 2018 European Championships celebrations.
The programme is an annual opportunity for the successful candidates to gain experience of assisting in the running of a major arts festival.
FESTIVAL ASSISTANT VOLUNTEERS
- Building connections with artists, producers and other volunteers
- Full training
- Experience interacting with the public
- Experience of assisting in the running of a major arts festival
- Free meals provided per volunteering day
- Travel expenses covered
- Free entry into PITCH and Clown Cabaret
- Opportunity to see outdoor street theatre performances at the Festival
Tuesday 10thJuly at 5pm: Closing date for applications
Wednesday 11th July: Volunteer interviews (short, informal interview) – skype option available
Wednesday 1stAugust: Training Session (evening) at The Briggait, Glasgow
Mon 6th – Sun 12thAugust: SURGE 2018 (various shifts available – mainly days with some evenings)
You must be available for the interview, training session and be available to volunteer both
Sat 11th & Sun 12th August along with one other shift in the week of 6th– 10thAugust 2018.
Duties will include:
- Assisting with brochure/ poster/ flyer distribution;
- Assisting with setting up dressing rooms and costumes;
- Running duties.
- Artist liaison;
- Welcoming and directing the festival visitors and audience during events and performances;
- Undertaking audience evaluations;
- Brochure distribution;
- Assisting with organising the dressing room/workshop spaces;
- Assisting with make up and costume (this is not essential, but please let us know if you have skills in this area);
- Running duties.
The ideal candidates will have an active interest in the arts – especially physical performance (street arts, physical theatre and circus) and an enthusiasm for learning behind the scenes, helping with festival artists and engaging with members of the public.
The chosen candidates will get first hand experience volunteering with festival performances and performers and shall hopefully take this experience on to future work within the arts.
To apply, please send the following by Tues 10thJuly at 5pm:
- A copy of your CV
- Your availability across the festival dates
- 500 word statement outlining your specific interest in the post, and what particular skills / qualities you will bring to it.
Applications should be emailed to Karen Veitch – Producer – karen[@]surge.scot
For enquiries please contact us on 0141 559 4928
Please note this opportunity is open to volunteers who are 18 years +
Surge runs projects to develop street arts, physical theatre and circus in Scotland. We work with artists, performance companies and educators at all levels of experience. SURGE Festival is our annual festival of Physical Theatre, Street Arts and Circus and takes place each summer and brings new Scottish work and cutting edge international performances to the streets, theatres and unusual spaces of Glasgow.