SURGE VOLUNTEER PROGRAMME: FESTIVAL ASSISTANT VOLUNTEERS
We are looking for volunteers for SURGE Festival 2021 – Scotland’s festival of Physical Performance – which takes place on the 10th – 11th of July in Glasgow; outdoors on the streets of Merchant City. We are also looking for Volunteers to assist with Festival preparation the week leading up to SURGE, week commencing 5th July. This year’s Festival is part of Merchant City Festival and the Glasgow 2021 European Championships celebrations.
The programme is an annual opportunity for the successful candidates to gain experience of assisting in the running of a major arts festival.
FESTIVAL ASSISTANT VOLUNTEERS
- Building connections with artists, producers and other volunteers
- Full training
- Experience interacting with the public
- Experience of assisting in the running of a major arts festival
- Free meals provided per volunteering day
- Travel expenses covered
- Opportunity to see outdoor street theatre performances at the Festival
Tues 8th June (5pm): Closing date for applications
Wed 16th June: Volunteer interviews (short, informal interview) – zoom option available
Wednesday 30th June: Training Session (evening) Venue TBC, Glasgow
5th – 9th July: 1 volunteer shift during the week
Sat 10th & Sun 11th July: SURGE Festival, both days
You must be available for the interview, training session and be available to volunteer both Sat 10th
& Sun 11th July along with one other shift in the week of 5th – 9th July 2021.
Duties will include:
- Assisting with setting up dressing rooms and costumes;
- Running duties.
- Artist Arrival assistance
- Artist liaison;
- Welcoming and directing the festival visitors and audience during events and performances;
- Undertaking audience evaluations;
- Assisting with organising the dressing room/workshop spaces;
- Assisting with make up and costume (this is not essential, but please let us know if you have skills in this area);
- Running duties.
The ideal candidates will have an active interest in the arts – especially physical performance (street arts, physical theatre and circus) and an enthusiasm for learning behind the scenes, helping with festival artists and engaging with members of the public.
The chosen candidates will get first hand experience volunteering with festival performances and performers and shall hopefully take this experience on to future work within the arts.
To apply, please send the following by Tues 8th June (5pm):
- A copy of your CV
- Your availability across the festival dates
- 500 word statement outlining your specific interest in the post, and what particular skills / qualities you will bring to it.
Applications should be emailed to Karen Veitch – Producer – email@example.com
For enquiries please contact us on 0141 248 6910
Please note this opportunity is open to volunteers who are 18 years +
The festival will be delivered in accordance with current Government Guidelines re Covid-19
Surge runs projects to develop street arts, physical theatre and circus in Scotland. We work with artists, performance companies and educators at all levels of experience. SURGE Festival is our annual festival of Physical Theatre, Street Arts and Circus and takes place each summer and brings new Scottish work and cutting edge international performances to the streets, theatres and unusual spaces of Glasgow.