SURGE VOLUNTEER PROGRAMME: FESTIVAL ASSISTANT VOLUNTEERS
We are looking for volunteers for SURGE Festival 2019– Scotland’s festival of Physical Performance, part of Merchant City Festival – 26th– 28thJuly in Glasgow. We are also looking for volunteers to assist with Festival preparation the week leading up to SURGE, week commencing 22ndJuly.
The programme is an annual opportunity for the successful candidates to gain experience of assisting in the running of a major arts festival.
FESTIVAL ASSISTANT VOLUNTEERS
- Building connections with artists, producers and other volunteers
- Full training
- Experience interacting with the public
- Experience of assisting in the running of a major arts festival
- Free meals provided per volunteering day
- Travel expenses covered
- Opportunity to see outdoor street theatre performances at the Festival
Tuesday 25th June at 5pm: Closing date for applications
Wednesday 3rd July: Volunteer interviews (short, informal interview) – skype option available
Wednesday 17th July: Training Session (late afternoon/evening)
Mon 22nd – Sun 28th July: SURGE 2019 (various shifts available – mainly days with some evenings)
You must be available for the interview, training session and be available to volunteer both Sat 27th & Sun 28th July along with one other shift in the week of 22nd – 26thJuly 2019.
Duties will include:
- Assisting with brochure/ poster/ flyer distribution;
- Assisting with setting up dressing rooms and costumes;
- Running duties.
- Artist liaison;
- Welcoming and directing the festival visitors and audience during events and performances;
- Undertaking audience evaluations;
- Brochure distribution;
- Assisting with organising the dressing room/workshop spaces;
- Assisting with make up and costume (this is not essential, but please let us know if you have skills in this area);
- Running duties.
The ideal candidates will have an active interest in the arts – especially physical performance (street arts, physical theatre and circus) and an enthusiasm for learning behind the scenes, helping with festival artists and engaging with members of the public.
The chosen candidates will get first hand experience volunteering with festival performances and performers and shall hopefully take this experience on to future work within the arts.
To apply, please send the following by Tues 25th June at 5pm:
- A copy of your CV
- Your availability across the festival dates
- 500 word statement outlining your specific interest in the post, and what particular skills / qualities you will bring to it.
Applications should be emailed to Ruth Siller – ruth[at]surge.scot
For enquiries please contact us on0141 248 6910
Please note this opportunity is open to volunteers who are 18 years +