SURGE VOLUNTEER PROGRAMME: FESTIVAL ASSISTANT VOLUNTEERS
We are looking for volunteers for SURGE Festival 2017 – Scotland’s festival of Physical Performance 28th July – 30th July 2017 in Glasgow, both outdoors on the streets of Merchant City, and indoors at our PITCH and Clown Cabaret nights. We are also looking for Volunteers to assist with Festival preparation the week preceding SURGE, week commencing 24th July.
The programme is an annual opportunity for the successful candidates to gain experience of assisting in the running of a major arts festival.
FESTIVAL ASSISTANT VOLUNTEERS
• Building connections with artists, producers and other volunteers
• Full training
• Experience interacting with the public
• Experience of assisting in the running of a major arts festival
• Free meals provided per volunteering day
• Travel expenses covered
• Free entry into PITCH and Clown Cabaret
• Opportunity to see outdoor street theatre performances at the Festival
Tuesday 27th June at 5pm: Closing date for applications
Wednesday 5th July: Volunteer interviews (short, informal interview)
Wednesday 19th July: Training Session (evening) at The Briggait
Mon 24th July – Sun 30th July: SURGE 2017 (various shifts available – mainly days with some evenings)
You must be available for the interview, training session and be available to volunteer both Sat 29th & Sun 30th July along with one other shift in the week of 24th – 28th July 2017.
Duties will include:
• Assisting with brochure/ poster/ flyer distribution
• Assisting with setting up dressing rooms and costumes
• Running duties
• Artist liaison
• Welcoming and directing the festival visitors and audience during events and performances
• Undertaking audience evaluations
• Brochure distribution
• Assisting with organising the dressing room/workshop spaces
• Assisting with make up and costume (this is not essential, but please let us know if you have skills in this area)
• Running duties.
The ideal candidates will have an active interest in the arts – especially physical performance (street arts, physical theatre and circus) and an enthusiasm for learning behind the scenes, helping with festival artists and engaging with members of the public.
The chosen candidates will get first hand experience volunteering with festival performances and performers and shall hopefully take this experience on to future work within the arts.
To apply, please send the following by Tues 27th June at 5pm:
• A copy of your CV
• Your availability across the festival dates
• 500 word statement outlining your specific interest in the post, and what particular skills / qualities you will bring to it.
Applications should be emailed to Karen Veitch – Producer – karen [at] surge.scot
For enquiries please contact us on 0141 559 4928