Site Specific and Outdoor Work
13th – 16th January 2020
Application Deadline: 12.00 noon on Thursday 14th November 2019
Thought it was well run with great mentors who had a lot to offer. The mix of the attendees was great with a range of disciplines and stages of development. A perfect setting to work and be inspired as it was comfortable, beautiful and the food was excellent! It enabled me to really focus on the show I had come to develop which is a complete luxury for me… and that is priceless!’
Gemma Mae Halligan – Amadan – previous participant.
Surge is inviting applications for a residency designed to give space for established artists to develop new ideas in the company of skilled practitioners to work on new ideas that are set in specific locations or type of location (e.g. urban/woodland). The residency will be led by Hilary Westlake. There will also be input from other established professional mentors including Al Seed, Alan Richardson, Bevis Evans Teusch, Simon Meek, Ross Gerry.
Surge welcomes applications from writers, theatre makers, designers, performers and those working in digital forms. We also invite applications from collaborating artists (max 3 per application). We also encourage applications that involve the integration of digital technologies.
We encourage applications from BAME artists and/ or artists with new projects that include culturally diverse work.
- Have a body of acclaimed professional work behind them in their specialist art form(s)
- Have an idea for the creation of a new work that involves working in a specific site or type of site.
- The idea should be at an early stage of development
- The ideas must include at least one of street arts, physical theatre and/or circus in one form or another.
Surge will provide;
- A structured residency in a rural location in Scotland
- A balanced group of established artists representing a wide variety of projects
- Transport from Glasgow to the residency location
- Accommodation and food for the duration of the residency
- The potential for further development of ideas in the presence of producers and venues at a later date TBC
Please send a project outline of your proposed new work in no more than 500 words plus a personal biography of you and any proposed collaborators for the project to Alan Richardson at email@example.com by 12.00 on Thursday November 14th 2019.
If you need further information or wish to discuss the suitability of your project please contact Alan on firstname.lastname@example.org
Hilary Westlake Biography
Hilary Westlake has extensive experience conceiving, directing and facilitating performances on many scales.
She formed Lumiere & Son Theatre Company with writer David Gale. The company, funded for twenty years by the Arts Council, produced over fifty original shows for theatres and other indoor and outdoor sites.
In the early 2000s she was Creative Director of Entertainment at Disneyland Resort Paris, considerably increasing her knowledge of mass popular entertainment.
As a free lance, as well as creating large scale site specific works, she has directed existing texts, operas and cabaret and has worked all over Europe, Australia and parts of Asia running seminars, workshops and master classes for both professional and student performers, designers, writers and directors. In recent years, she has developed work with circus, street and other multi art form artists.