SURGE FESTIVAL INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT
SURGE has an exciting opportunity for someone to join the team as Festival Intern for SURGE Festival 2019, Scotland’s festival of Physical Performance, part of Merchant City Festival.
We are looking for an intern from mid June to the end of July 2019, approximately 2 days per week and as much as possible over the Festival week (22 – 28 July).
The programme is an annual opportunity for the successful candidate to gain experience of assisting in the running of a major arts festival in a busy festival office and the production side of making the event happen.
- Opportunity to shadow the Surge Producer and Project Manager
- Building connections with artists, producers and other volunteers
- Induction and training provided
- Experience interacting with the public
- Experience of assisting in the running of a major arts festival
- Experience of assisting in coordinating a festival volunteer programme
- Lunch provided per volunteering day
- Travel expenses covered
- 9 days leading up to the festival (19 June – 19 July) – Wednesdays & Thursdays/Fridays
- (OPTIONAL: Dundee Summer Streets Festival (20 & 21 July) – we are taking our performances to Dundee and would like you to join us to assist over the weekend if you are available)
- Festival week (22 – 25 July) – as much as possible
- Festival weekend (26, 27 & 28 July) – 3 days
- Then 1 day of evaluation/ tidy up the week of 29 July
- A total of 15-16 days, depending on availability.
Duties will include:
- Managing the volunteer programme under the guidance of the Surge Producer (recruitment, interviews, rotas);
- Sourcing and buying production requirements;
- Creating event signage, helping put together laminate passes & welcome packs;
- Coordinating artist meal requirements;
- Other general administration duties;
- Assisting with scheduling;
- Assisting in setting up the dressing rooms and organising costumes;
- Running duties.
DURING SURGE FESTIVAL:
- Assisting the Surge Producer and Project Manager;
- Managing and supervising the volunteers;
- Meeting & greeting artists and general artist liaison;
- Welcoming and directing the festival visitors and audience during events and performances;
- Undertaking audience evaluations;
- Assisting with dressing room spaces;
- Running duties.
The ideal candidates will have an active interest in the arts – especially physical performance (street arts, physical theatre and circus) and an enthusiasm for learning behind the scenes, helping with festival artists, volunteer coordination and engaging with members of the public. You should have an interest in Arts Management, with an enthusiasm for also learning about the practical side of event management.
The chosen candidates will get first hand experience volunteering with festival performances and performers and shall hopefully take this experience on to future work within the arts.
On days of volunteering you will receive lunch and expenses for travel within Glasgow. Please retain your receipts for these journeys.
To apply, please send:
- A copy of your CV
- Your availability across all dates above
- 500 word statement outlining your specific interest in the opportunity, and what particular skills / qualities you will bring to it.
Applications should be emailed to Ruth Siller, Project Manager – email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS Tuesday 21stMay 2019 at 5pm
INTERVIEWS WILL TAKE PLACE Wednesday 29thMay 2019 in Glasgow
For enquiries please contact us on 0141 248 6910