Digital Arts Practitioner and Co-ordinator
Part Time, 2 days per week starting June 2022
Initially a fixed term 18 Month contract
Salary £25,000 – £27,000 pro rata (depending on experience)
Post based at Surge space in Glasgow City Centre
Surge is looking for a digital arts practitioner, who is currently developing their own practice, to work with us on designing and delivering multi art form projects with a digital focus. We are looking for someone who is excited by experimentation and investigating new ways of working. The successful candidate will work with Surge staff to develop new innovative programmes and projects that push the boundaries of where digital and live arts intersect.
SURGE runs projects to develop street arts, physical theatre and circus in Scotland. We work with artists, performance companies and educators at all levels of experience. We also run SURGE Festival, our annual event, which takes place each July, which brings new Scottish work and cutting edge international performances to the streets, theatres and unusual spaces of Glasgow.
For the last 4 years, Surge has been working to develop its Techbox initiative, with specialists from the digital arts (games designers, app developers, film makers, VJ’s and sound designers). This initiative is designed to experiment in many areas both with live performance invading the gaming world and vice versa.
Main Purpose of the Post
With the support and guidance of Surge core staff: to devise and deliver digital arts programmes and projects. These programmes and projects will be multi artform in nature, combining digital arts with outdoor arts and physical theatre.
Key responsibilities of the post
- To devise and deliver, in collaboration with the Surge Director and other Surge staff, new digital arts projects for established, emerging and community artists
- Seek out new digital arts commissions, partners and networks for Surge
- To lead or assist Commissions secured by Surge, where appropriate
- To lead or assist existing Surge workshops and projects
- To co-ordinate, with the Surge producer, new and existing projects
- To feed into and/or write funding applications for newly devised projects
- To assist in the running of Surge events and projects
- Any other duties commensurate with the post
- To be a practicing digital artist, with a recent track record of developing their own projects
- To have an interest in combining digital arts with live performance and events
- To have a good working knowledge of software and hardware in their own digital arts practice
- To have some experience of managing their own projects
- To be comfortable at public presentation
- To have experience of working on projects combining digital arts with live performance and events
- To have experience of fundraising
- To have experience of managing multi artform projects
- To have experience of leading workshops and/or training sessions
- Working knowledge of Unity or other game engine
- Working knowledge of digital design software
- Working knowledge of designing AR and/or VR environments
Surge values diversity and promotes equality and inclusion. We encourage and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ability.
Please send a CV and letter of interest (max 500 words) and any links to past or current work, to Alan Richardson email@example.com by midnight on Tuesday 10th May. Interviews will take place on 23rd or 24th May.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the role informally, please contact Alan Richardson on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0141 248 6910